Official Rules of the 2014 Eat & Run Scavenger Hunt
- Online registration will close at midnight on Saturday, October 4th. After that, people may purchase tickets at the Arcade Providence starting at 11:00am on Sunday, October 5th.
- Our official hashtag for the entire expo, including the scavenger hunt, is #PVDHunt
- Please follow the directions for each clue. Some clues require you to go inside the restaurant, while others simply require you to take a “selfie” outside of the building.
- You must bring your own digital camera or smartphone to use in the scavenger hunt.
- You must be at least 14 to compete in the race. If you are under 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Before the Scavenger Hunt:
- Check in runs from 11:00am to 12:30pm at the Arcade Providence (165 Weybosset Street). The race begins at noon, but we will continue to check in late arrivals and allow them to compete.
- Get a head start by joining our text message list. Text “Taste” to the number 38470 and we will send you the answer to two of the clues — one at 1:00pm and another at 2:00pm.
- Download the RIPTA app if you would like to use the buses during the Scavenger Hunt. (Hint: Your lucky numbers are 28, 42, and 92.)
How Check In Works:
- If you have already purchased tickets or have a pass, we will check you in and hand you a waiver. If you are purchasing tickets, we will take your cash or process your credit card and hand you waiver.
- Fill out the top of the waiver, and initial each item on the waiver.
- Turn your waiver in and you will receive a wristband. (If you are a member of your team, your entire team must turn your waivers in together.)
- Select a team captain.
- You must wear the wristband to compete in the race.
- We will call the Team Captains up to the Clue Line.
- Captains must hold the clues above their heads until we declare the start of the race (it will only take us a few minutes to hand out the clues).
During the Race:
- No cars, taxis, bikes, bikeshare, skateboards, rollerblades, rideshares (Uber, Lyft), etc. are allowed. You may walk or ride the RIPTA buses. Remember, all of your competitors have cameras, so if you cheat, you will get caught.
- It is highly unlikely that you will be able to make it to every stop on the scavenger hunt. Make sure you are back at the Cable Car Cinema (204 South Main Street) no later than 3:00pm. If you are not at the Cable Car by 3:00pm, you will not be eligible for the prize.
- All of your photos must be taken with the same camera or phone.
- Some clues have special instructions for the photos. Follow those instructions carefully.
- For clues that don’t have special instructions: If you are competing alone, you must must appear in the photo. If you are competing as a team, everybody must be in the photo. The location must be clearly identifiable in the photo.
At the Finish Line:
- Once your entire team has arrived at the Cable Car Cinema, the team captain will check in with their time.
- The team captain will then get into a second line, where we will check your photos.
- Penalties for incorrect locations or clue directives will be assessed after the race is complete, so your finish place may change after we make any adjustments.
After the Race:
- Once we have checked everybody’s photos and made our determination, we will announce our winner(s).
- Everybody who competed in the race will get free admission to the premiere of the documentary Farm-City, State (a documentary about the local food scene in Austin, Texas) at the Cable Car at 4:00pm. Keep your wristband on — this is what gets you into the film.
- Bring your ID.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Charge your camera or cellphone before the race.
- Bring a backpack with water and a snack.
- Dress for any weather (the hunt is rain or shine!)
Published October 2nd, 2014