Subscribe or leave a review in iTunes.
In this episode of the Find Dining Podcast, Larry Kass from Heaven Hill Distilleries talks to us about bourbon and its role in tourism for Louisville, Kentucky. We discuss the difference between bourbon and other whiskies , how to taste bourbon, why the best bourbons are made in Kentucky, and how the bourbon industry was built.
- Check out the Heaven Hill Distilleries website
- Read about Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer’s Work Group to make Kentucky a foodie destination and revive Louisville’s historic Whiskey Row
- Let the Louisville Convention and Vistor’s Bureau help you plan your trip along the Urban Bourbon Trail
- Visit the distilleries along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tour
- Check out the newly renovated visitor centers at Wild Turkey and Jim Beam
- Compare the flavors of different bourbons from Evan Williams, Larceny, Jim Beam, and Maker’s Mark
- Learn how the Kentucky Distillers’ Association helped Heaven Hills Distilleries rebound from a 1996 fire
- Bardstown, KY is the official Bourbon Capital of the World
- September is National Bourbon Month
Food for Thought:
- Q: What Ohio River port (in what was formerly Bourbon County) was most of the bourbon was shipped out of?
- A: Maysville
Out of the Frying Pan:
- Best Book to Plan Your Trip: best overall resource for trip planning is Kentucky Bourbon Trail website. For understanding bourbon and bourbon history, Larry recommends books by Gary Regan, Chuck Cowdery, and Fred Minnicks
- Best Time of Year to Come: Derby time (early May) or September during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival
- Proper Glassware for Drinking Bourbon: try it neat in a Glencairn tasting glass or try it in a cocktail
- Best Bourbon Meal Pairing: Pairs well with lots of foods, but classic pairing is with traditional meats like pork
- Prediction for Bourbon in Kentucky: Greater growth worldwide and greater interest in bourbon tourism