Podcast Episode 82: 2014 James Beard Awards Preview
Izabela Wojcik, the Director of House Programming for the James Beard Foundation, gives us an inside look at the James Beard Awards. We talk about the life of James Beard, how the Awards work, and all of the other things that the James Beard Foundation does.
Listen to this podcast now:
In this episode of the Find Dining Podcast, Izabela Wojcik, the Director of House Programming for the James Beard Foundation, gives us an inside look at the James Beard Awards. We talk about the life of James Beard, how the Awards work, and all of the other things that the James Beard Foundation does.
- James Beard's first cookbook was Offer: 076240664X James Beard's Hors D'oeuvre & Canapes
- Peter Kump and Julia Child led the effort to turn the James Beard House into a foundation
- When Wolfgang Puck hosted a dinner at the James Beard House, it really became a showplace for chefs
- The Foundation hosts events all over the country
- James Beard had a hand in designing the concept at the Four Seasons Restaurant
- The Foundation hits the road with Taste America
- Watch the James Beard Kitchen Cam
- The big awards ceremony is on May 5th, featuring Ted Allen of Chopped as the Master of Ceremonies
- Chef Mario Batali is the Gala Chair of this year's awards
- The theme of this year's James Beard Awards is "sounds of the city"
- To be an Outstanding Chef, you must be an Executive Chef for at least five years
- To be an Outstanding Restaurant, you need to be around for at least 10 years
- Here's the full list of 2014 nominees
- Sirrio Maccioni of Le Cirque will be honored with the 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award
- Charlie Trotter won the 2013 Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Matt Haley of Rehoboth Beach will receive the 2014 Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Meatless Monday is celebrating its 10-year anniversary
Food for Thought:
- Q: What is James Beard's most famous sandwich?
- A: James Beard's Onion Sandwiches.
Out of the Frying Pan Picks:
- Favorite James Beard Foundation Events: Dinners with rising chefs
- Biggest Change: The foods that the chefs bring through the James Beard House
- Favorite Recent Menu Items: Dishes featuring sea urchins and squid ink (with a shout out to Chef Sean Brock)
- How the James Beard Awards are Not Like the Oscars: Nobody's counting calories
- Prediction about the Future: Sustainability and health will be critical issues