In this episode of the Find Dining podcast, Top Chef finalist and fan favorite Sheldon Simeon of MiGrant and Mala Wailea tells us how to eat like a local in Maui. We discuss Hawaiian family celebrations, elevating ramen, and his rise from dishwasher to celebrity chef.
- Chef Sheldon is a two-time James Beard Award semi-finalist
- Sample a classic Hawaiian plate lunch at places like Aloha Mixed Plate
- Taste how Star Noodle puts a gourmet twist on Sheldon’s childhood breakfast
- Maui restaurants often grow their own produce
- MiGrant showcases produce from Kumu Farms
- Be sure to try some kahlua pig or loco moco
- While on hiatus from “Top Chef”, Sheldon went underground at Vintage Cave in Honolulu
Food for Thought
- Q: What is the name of the underground oven used to cook kahlua-style?
- A: Imu.
Out of the Frying Pan
- Favorite Farm to visit in Maui: Kumu Farms
- Traditional drink: Enjoy a mai tai by the beach
- Favorite restaurant to visit when not working: Ka’ana Kitchen
- Favorite food truck: Maui Fresh Streatery
- Great foodie events: Hawai’i Food and Wine Festival in Aug-Sept
- Behind the scenes of “Top Chef”: the contestants are whisked around town like ninjas