Podcast Episode 101: Where to Eat in Durham, North Carolina
Sam Poley of the Durham CVB takes us on a tour of the foo scene in Durham, North Carolina.
Listen to this podcast now:
In this episode of the Find Dining podcast, Sam Poley of the Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau tells us what makes the food scene in his North Carolina city unlike anywhere else. We discuss the close-knit chef community, what to do between meals, and the different styles of Carolina barbecue.
- Come hear Sam speak at the 2014 Food and Travel Expo
- Bullock's Bar-b-cue is the oldest restaurant in town
- Durham was named the "Tastiest Town in the South" by Southern Living
- Bon Appetit named Durham the "Foodiest Small Town in America"
- New York Times listed Durham among the top 41 places in the world to visit
- Try the international chocolate drinks at Cocoa Cinnamon
- Nana's is one of the oldest and most respected restaurants; dress the same as if you were going to Nantaco
- Happy China is a great place for authentic Chinese food
- Sara Foster, the woman behind Foster's Market, is a well-known culinary hero
- For barbecue, check out Ed Mitchell's Que or Dan Ferguson's The Original Q Shack
- Head to Saltbox Seafood Joint for the seafood if the fish guy is on time
- Get the pig ears at Pizzeria Toro or try the pig tails at Mateo Bar de Tapas
- Don't miss the Food Truck Rodeo or find lots of food trucks at the Durham Farmer's Market on Sunday
- Check out the food at the Centerfest in September
- Sample locally-made charcuterie at Rose's Meats and Sweets
- Beer lovers should check out Fullsteam Brewery, Bull City Burger and Brewery, Triangle Brewery
Food for Thought
- Q: Durham is the only place in the US where this spirit is legally made and bottled. What is is?
- A: Krupnikas
Out of the Frying Pan Picks:
- Best Outdoor Dining Options: American Tobacco Historic District, Gughlhupf in the Rockwood District, Vin Rouge in Ninth St District
- Best Place for Kids: Geer Street Garden, Motorco Music Hall,
- Place to get a great cocktail: Mateo Bar de Tapas, Alley Twenty Six
- Chefs to watch: Matt Kelly, Phoebe Lawless, Scott Howell
- Best Place for Dessert: Scratch, Loaf, Monuts Donuts, Daisy Cakes, Cocoa Cinnamon, The Parlour