Podcast Episode 92: Top Chef's Sheldon Simeon on Where to Eat in Hawaii
Top Chef season 10 finalist and fan favorite Sheldon Simeon of MiGrant and Mala Wailea tells us about the food scene in Hawaii.
Listen to this podcast now:
In this episode of the Find Dining podcast, Top Chef finalist and fan favorite Sheldon Simeon of MiGrant and Mala Wailea tells us how to eat like a local in Maui. We discuss Hawaiian family celebrations, elevating ramen, and his rise from dishwasher to celebrity chef.
- Chef Sheldon is a two-time James Beard Award semi-finalist
- Sample a classic Hawaiian plate lunch at places like Aloha Mixed Plate
- Taste how Star Noodle puts a gourmet twist on Sheldon's childhood breakfast
- Maui restaurants often grow their own produce
- MiGrant showcases produce from Kumu Farms
- Be sure to try some kahlua pig or loco moco
- While on hiatus from "Top Chef", Sheldon went underground at Vintage Cave in Honolulu
Food for Thought
- Q: What is the name of the underground oven used to cook kahlua-style?
- A: Imu.
Out of the Frying Pan
- Favorite Farm to visit in Maui: Kumu Farms
- Traditional drink: Enjoy a mai tai by the beach
- Favorite restaurant to visit when not working: Ka'ana Kitchen
- Favorite food truck: Maui Fresh Streatery
- Great foodie events: Hawai'i Food and Wine Festival in Aug-Sept
- Behind the scenes of "Top Chef": the contestants are whisked around town like ninjas