Podcast Episode 98: Travel Writing in Greece
Christopher Bakken, author of Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table, and Allegheny College about culinary travel in Greece.
Listen to this podcast now:
In this episode of the Find Dining podcast, Christopher Bakken, author of Offer: 0520275098 Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table and the English Department Chair at Allegheny College talks about culinary travel in Greece. We discuss travel writing, harvesting olives, and hunting for octopus.
- Come hear Christopher speak at the 2014 Food and Travel Expo
- Take a writing workshop with Greece as your backdrop
- Need some reading material for your next flight?
- Enjoy the classic works of M.L.K. Fischer, such as Offer: 0764542613 The Art of Eating: 50th Anniversary Edition
- Get in to the kitchen with Offer: 0060899220 Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (P.S.) or Offer: 1400034477 Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany
- Take a journey with Patrick Leigh Fermor beginning with Offer: 1590171659 A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople: From the Hook of Holland to the Middle Danube (New York Review Books Classics)
- Island hop using ferries and find a room for rent at a local home or small inn
- Agritourism is an growing industry in Greece
- When in Greece, enjoy a mid-day mesimeriano feast
Food for Thought
- Q: On which Greek Island did Vin Santo originate?
- A: Thera (Santorini)
Out of the Frying Pan Picks:
- Restaurant with a great view: Balcony of Pension Archodissa
- Favorite Greek Wine: Assyrtico and Xinomavro
- Advice on Greek honey: try thyme honey
- Favorite market: "Two Doors", a hidden gem one block down from the Great Athens market
- Favorite beach: Orkos beach in Naxos
- Dish to compare restaurants by: Greek salad
- Restaurant customs that may surprise an American tourist: It'll take a while to get the check because they don't want you to leave
- Favorite dessert: watermelon and feta with a glass of tsipouro or ouzo